Friday, April 17, 2015

Surprised by diminutive Beffery’s pretty église


Église Saint-Étienne in Beffery, near Miramont-de-Guyenne in the Lot-et-Garonne

Despite living here three years, it was only recently that I noticed the small road sign pointing to Beffery. The icon indicating a historical church next to the village name was enough to draw me to Beffery a few days later. The tiny village is located just 3 km from Miramont-de-Guyenne, the largest village to where I live and the place I do most of my grocery shopping.

Following the signs, I find myself in a part of Miramont I have never been through. Being careful not to blink, within minutes I am pulling up to the parking lot behind the Beffery church.

Église Saint-Étienne in Beffery

The day is gray and no one except un chien qui aboyait is in sight. The menacing dog is enough to keep me wary about walking past his yard to get a better camera angle, but I manage to take some pictures and study the sign on the locked porte.

Église Saint-Étienne in Beffery

Église Saint-Étienne was built in the 13th century. It appears to have recently been refurbished, and is quite striking from the outside. An ancient horizontal sundial is just behind the church.

Sundial at Église Saint-Étienne in Beffery

Inside, visitors can see a white marble funeral plate painted in 1939 by artist Giovanni Masutti (1903-1963), in honor of Audiart, a woman who died in 1280. The church is open by appointment only; call 05.53.93.31.25 or inquire at the tourist information office in Miramont de Guyenne.

Timbers above the door at Église Saint-Étienne in Beffery

My impromptu visit to Beffery reminds me to keep my eyes open; one never knows what may be just around the corner.





No comments:

Post a Comment