Saturday, December 3, 2016

Boston in a day

My return flight to France isn't til 7:30 this evening so I take advantage of being in Boston for a few drizzly hours. The weather may not be the best, but I'm with two of my oldest, bestest buddies: my sister and my dear friend who has taken the bus down from Maine just to see me.

Boston Public Garden

I've flown in and out of Logan Int'l. a few times, and I have fond memories of exploring the Boston area when I was a little girl with my great uncle Walter serving as my personal tour guide. However, this is the first time I've actually spent time in downtown Boston. Seven hours in a city by no means makes me an expert, but I eagerly share some of the highlights of my day here.

Green Dragon Tavern was the secret meeting place of the Sons of Liberty
and, according to Webster, was the headquarters of the American Revolution.
The original tavern was located near here.

Boston is the cradle of the American Revolution, and, after picking up bagels at Bruegger's to bring home to my patient husband in France, we easily find ourselves on the Freedom Trail, a meandering stroll through the city that takes visitors past 16 historical sites.

Old Statehouse Museum and site of the Boston Massacre. Patriots
including John Adams, John Hancock and Samuel Adams worked here.

Weary as we all our from this bitter presidential campaign, walking in the footsteps of our Founding Fathers is just the tonic I need to remind me what America stands for.

Paul Revere statue in Boston
The Old North Church in Boston
Bell in Hand in Boston is America's oldest tavern
George Washington statue in Boston Public Garden
Boston's history is not only about the American Revolution. The city has a rich culture based on the many immigrants who settled here. 

Boston's Irish Famine Memorial commemorates An
Gorta Mór
(the great famine 1845-1852)
Boston's Irish Famine Memorial also celebrates the triumph
of the city's Irisn immigrants.

New England Holocaust Memorial in Boston

Contemplating frog at Frog Pond in Boston Common

Base of a Dawn Redwood tree in Boston Public Garden

'Make Way for Ducklings' sculpture by Nancy Schön in Boston
Public Garden features the characters created by Robert McCloskey.




No comments:

Post a Comment