Thursday, May 8, 2014

Come Rain or Come Shine: Away to Visit Paris part 1

Salut. Je suis enchanté de vous rencontrer.
After two years in France, Ken and I have finally visited Paris together. Over the next few weeks, I will be entertaining (or boring) you with tales and images from our nine days in Paris: une ville l'incroyable et magnifique!

We stayed in a friend's lovely apartment the posh 16th arrondissement, and for the first part of the trip, we were joined by our good friends Linda and Dave. The itinerary planning and logistics had been left in my hands, and I confess that I was overzealous in my sightseeing goals. I found that Paris infused me with boundless energy, while my traveling companions were more happy to slowly soak in the sights. I am just relieved that after several hectic days together, we are all still friends and that Ken and I are still married.

Here are some photos to whet your appetite for a series of posts I am calling, "Away to Visit Paris."


The Arc de Triomphe was commissioned
to honor those who fought for France
in the Napoleonic Wars.

La Basilique du Sacré Cœur de Montmartre

Bastille topper

Bust of Napoléon Bonaparte by Charles-Louis
Corbet,at the Musée Carnavalet

The cosmetic counters at the 102-year-old
department store, Galeries Layfayette

A lamppost at Paris's City Hall, or Hôtel de Ville

Ken shares a laugh with notre bon ami Dave.

Love locks on the Seine

The quiet side of Cathédrale Notre-Dame.
Simultaneously, there were thousands of
tourists in front of the church.

Not everyone is crazy about the ceiling of the
Palais Garnier Opera House, painted by Marc Chagall.
I'm on Team Marc. 

Sunny day at the Centre Pompidou

Among the dozens of photos I took of the Tour Eiffel,
this is my favorite.

A statue of scientist Blaise Pascal stands
at the base of the Tour Saint-Jacques.
Pascal experimented with atmospheric
pressure, and thus, a meteorological
lab is installed at the top of the tower.

The Vel d'Hiv monument is dedicated to the Jewish
deportees who were rounded up by Paris police
in July 1942, events depicted in the book,
"Sarah's Key," 

Our dear British friends, Linda and Dave



No comments:

Post a Comment