Saturday, December 14, 2013

Journée de filles à Bordeaux

Moi (center) with mes amies Linda et Julie.
This week, two friends and I took the train to Bordeaux to do a little shopping, touring, eating and dishing. The petit voyage was much needed: a break from our husbands, and for nos maris, a petite pause from us.

We arrived in time for a late lunch and passed nearly two hours over our saumon (me) and lapin (Linda and Julie). We demurred from ordering dessert since we correctly predicted we'd be ready for some coffee and sweets later in the day.

Carousel topper
Mother Nature did her part supporting our girls' day out: ciel bleu and mild temperatures. We spent most of the day at the Bordeaux Marché de Noël and in the main shopping district. I was alarmed at the prices at the Clinique counter in Galleries Layfayette and decided I could hold off buying my favorite moisturizer until my next trip to les Etats-Unis.

Christmas trees and cheval near Grande Théâtre de Bordeaux



As the sun set, we walked a bit along the quay on the Garonne River, hopped on a tram and made it back to Gare de Bordeaux-Saint-Jean just in time for our train home. As we did more browsing than buying, I returned with a nearly full wallet (happy husband) and with two better amies (happy me).



A stall at Bordeaux's Marché de Noël


Linda models a handbag made from an old 
45 rpm record.



Sculpture by Jaume Plense
One of two sculptures recently installed in Bordeaux 
by Catalan Spanish artist Jaume Plensa.

How does he do that?




My café gourmand




Fountain at Place des Quinconces


Fountain at Place des Quinconces
Fountain at Place des Quinconces

No comments:

Post a Comment